Now in its 4th year, the 2017 Samuel Adams Starved Rock Country Marathon and Half Marathon has become the "must do" event of the running community in central Illinois. The Marathon course will again showcase the historic and scenic Starved Rock Country area and Illinois River. The new Half Marathon course is a point to point route starting in Starved Rock State Park, continuing along wooded sites and scenery along the Illinois River, and finishing in historic downtown Ottawa. Each runner will receive a participant shirt and finishers receive a race specific medal which will be the fourth in the collectible series. The course is certified by USATF and is a Boston Marathon qualifier. Our new presenting sponsor has great new perks for any Boston qualifiers this year too! Find minute to minute updates and great photos of previous races on our facebook page.
Race Weekend: Saturday, May 13th, 2017
- Full Marathon participants meet at Washington Park on the corner of LaSalle Street and West Jackson Street.
- Half marathon participants will meet at the Ottawa Township High School at 211 East Main Street, Ottawa, IL. Half marathon participants will be shuttled from Ottawa Township High School to their start at Starved Rock State Park.
- Shuttle times for the Half Marathon are from 5:30am to 6:30am.
- The Full Marathon Start is at 7:00am from Washington Park.
- The Half Marathon Start is at 7:30am from Starved Rock State Park.
- Both the Full and Half Marathon finish at Albin Stevens Drive near the Ottawa River Rescue.
Walmart health and Fitness expo/packet pickup
The Walmart Health and Fitness Expo is the official packet pickup headquarters.
The Walmart Health and Fitness Expo is Friday May 12, 2017 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm at the Knights of Columbus Hall. The Ottawa Knights of Columbus Hall is located at 401 West Main Street, Ottawa, IL 61350.
This Expo is open to the public. Packet pickup at the Expo is recommended. However; packet pickup will be allowed for a limited time on Race Day at the American Legion for full marathon participants and at the Ottawa High School for half marathon participants. Race Day packet pickup will NOT be in the same location as the Expo. Please check the registration information tab for more information regarding Race Day Packet Pickup.
There several areas available for parking. See this map for designated parking areas.
Full Marathon Gear check is on the corner of LaSalle Street and Lafayette Street (next to Washington Park, volunteers will direct you there). There are several vans from Bill Walsh being used for this purpose. Half Marathon Gear Check will be adjacent to the start at Starved Rock State Park. A large shipping truck provided by Stevenson Transfer will be used for this purpose. Gear check is available from 5:30am to 6:45am for the full marathon and 6:00am to 7:15am. Gear pickup will be at the finish line near Albin Stevens Road.
Once you cross the line, give yourself a round of applause, check your time on the digital clock, and please be sure to move quickly through the finish line area. Remember,you will not have to have your chip removed as it will be on the back of your bib and is disposable. You may pick up your medal, and move to the Lone Buffalo Block Party. Food, beer and merchandise will be available in this area. Samuel Adams will be providing one complimentary beer per runner. Even more exiciting, the 26.2 brew will be offered for purchase in limited quanities for the first time outside of Massachusetts. Entertainment for the whole family will be provided at the block party featuring bounce houses, kid's obstacle course, and live music. Food and beverages will be available for purchase.
Race results will be posted at the finish line area. Official times will be available within 48 hours on our website. Medals for age-category finishers will be awarded at the block party stage following the event. Details to come.
We hope that this is a race you will want to come back to year after year. To help make your experience go as smoothly as possible, please read and become familiar with the race rules and regulations. All rules have been established in order to protect the safety of our participants and keep us in good standing with our governing body, the USATF. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated in helping everyone to enjoy race day.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Race day registration is available.
- No-shows will not be mailed their race shirts or bags.
- Marathon runners must complete the course in 6.5 hours.
- Half Marathon runners must complete the course in 4 hours.
- Headphones ARE now permitted on the course due to the revised legislation passed by the USATF, but discouraged for safety reasons.
- No wheeled vehicles are allowed on the course at any time. Baby Joggers, strollers, roller/in-line skates, bicycles etc. are prohibited.
- Participants must stay on the official course at all times. It is the responsibility of each participant to know the course. Participants who leave the course will be disqualified. Please see the course map to learn the course before race day.
- Only participants wearing the provided timing chip/tag on their bib will be timed and included in the final race results for the scored events.
- Only registered participants may be on the course during the event. Spectators are asked to remain on the sidewalk or road shoulders. Please do not cut across the course.
- The decisions of the race director are final in all matters.
- Walker etiquette: Runners will approach walkers quickly. Please be courteous; move over to the sides of the roads when runners approach and let them have the right of way and quickest way past.
- Age recommendations for the Marathon - at least 18 years old; Half Marathon - at least 14 years old (Based on regulations by IMMDA) For further information and background, see: IMMDA Advisory Statement on Children and Marathoning.
- PED/Drug Testing: Run Starved Rock Country promotes a drug-free race environment to protect the health of athletes and to preserve fair competition. The RunSRC Race Committee reserves the right to drug test overall winners, and top finishers, for Performance Enhancing Drugs following completion of our marathon. Drug-test samples may be collected and processed by an independent certified collection agency. The samples are collected and analyzed under a published protocol using certified laboratories.